There’s nothing more summery than the beautiful bright orange Calendula flower!
I love these flowers, and all daisy shaped flowers, but bright orange just lifts and warms every time doesn’t it?
This is what inspired my gorgeous little Calendula the Flower Fairy. She’s the perfect fairy of summertime and for lovers of orange and yellow. She’ll bring a touch of summer all year round.
The pattern has been tested by my testers (crocheters of varying skill) and even a beginner can manage them with some knowledge of common stitches.
Made using DK yarn she measures approx 7″ including hair (6″ without big hair).
Locking Stitch marker to mark the beginning of the round
DK Yarn in a peachy skin tone (Hayfield Bonus Aran), Orange (originally Robin DK Marigold discontinued, best alternative is Robin DK Jaffa, Yellow (Hayfield Bonus Primrose), Green (Stylecraft Special DK Meadow)
Black embroidery cotton for lashes (very small amount)
Pink embroidery cotton for mouth (very small amount)
Sparkly Green thread (Anchor Artiste Emerald) for edging wings. Only a small amount needed so to save on waste and cost, you could easily use any sparkly yarn scraps instead.
Scissors (how pretty are these beautiful Hemline Stork scissors)
PVA (non-toxic school style) glue
Safety eyes 8mm or 9mm (optional)
Small flower button (optional)
1. Pattern uses UK crochet terminology and assumes knowledge of all stitches used.
2. The wings are made with a 5mm hook, to get the right size for the fairy. If you use a different size hook for the fairy be sure to go up or down to match the wings eg a 3.5mm for fairy, then use a 5.5mm for wings.
3. Wings require stiffening, instructions are included. Not suitable for younger children because of this. Spot clean only, do not wash the wings as the glue will wash out resulting in floppy wings. I suggest tying on the wings so they can be removed should the doll need a wash.
- MR – Magic ring (adjustable ring)
- YO – Yarn over
- FO – Fasten off
- Slst – slip stitch (US sl st)
- Dc – double crochet (US sc)
- Htr – half treble (US hdc)
- Tr – treble (US dc)
- Dtr – double treble (US tr)
- FLO – Front loop only
- BLO – back loop only
- Dctog – Double crochet 2 stitches in 1 (decrease) (US Trtog)
Special stitch used:
FLO dtr cluster (Front loop double treble cluster). 2 double trebles worked together into 1 cluster stitch. Yarn over twice, insert hook into FRONT LOOP of stitch, yo, pull through st, (yo, pull through 2 loops on hook) twice, yo twice, insert hook into FRONT LOOP of same stitch, yo, pull through st, (yo, pull through 2 loops on hook) twice, yo, pull through remaining 3 loops on hook, ch 1
Ready to start? Grab the pattern on either of the links below (same great price just different site) and add her to your Ravelry favs and queue now.
Not quite ready, just pin any of the pics for later, and you can follow me on Pinterest right here too:
Already made her? Please share your pics with me, I’d love to see them. If you use Instagram use the hashtag #calendulafairy and #thecraftytherapist or just tag me in your post, I’d love to reshare. You can follow on Insta and Facebook just here:
If you have any problems at all with the pattern please get in touch: email@example.com or message me on Facebook. I’m always happy to help you.
If you love this sweet little fairy do pop on to comment and say hello. She’d really love that. If you’d also like to hear about new patterns first and get exclusive discounts on them, you can subscribe to my email list below.
x ❤️ x
All information and images in this post and on this website are owned by Janferie MacKintosh at The Crafty Therapist unless otherwise stated. You may not reproduce without permission.